Sunday, March 28, 2010

identity

I was looking at my "about me" thing on facebook. I deleted it and went to re write it and got stuck. I would start to type something and then delete it....this happened 3,4, 5,6 times.I sat and thought about it. How do you define yourself in words? what do you say about yourself to give people an impression of who you are?
IS IT POSSIBLE??


to write out who we are....give people a sense of us in a paragraph? I bet I could ask my closest friends..the ones who know my heart... I am sure they would do a better job than I.

Or better yet...could I look to the creator of the universe...the one who formed me in my mothers womb to tell me a little bit about who I am and what He intended me to be...

psalm 139 13-15
for you created my inmost being
you knit me together in my mothers room
I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made
your works are wonderful
i know that full well
my frame was not hidden from you
when i was made in the secret place
when i was woven together in the depths of the earth.

You see, all too often we are defined by the wrong things. WE PUT OUR IDENTITY IN THINGS THAT ARE FLEETING.THINGS THAT FADE AWAY.
We become defined by our marriages , I have many times been "Andrews wife"

We become defined by our children , I have many times been "Romans mom"

We become defined by our education or career "what do you do?" or "Im JUST a stay at home mom"

We are defined by how we look and how we act..the things we spend our time in...what we spend our money on...
You see, I could put my identity and happiness in Andrew (who is in my opinion the greatest man on the planet) but ultimatley he is going to let me down because he is human. This is not to say that i believe he will have an affair or start drinking heavily etc...(although he is not above that.) But he is going to hurt me and I hurt him.we are human..and we fail. Not to mention the face that the mortality rate these days (Pastor Greg) is right around 100 percent. Every day is a gift and we may not have tomorow...as i learned when my mom died when i was 20. Yes, YOU are going to die. Are you ready for whats next?? You can not put your hope in a person when our flesh is dying with every passing day.

Then again, I could put my identity and happiness in a house or car or the quest for more money so I can have a happier and more relaxing life.But these things too, are temporary..and really are they worth putting your identity in?

Everyday I fight against my own selfishness to have the perspective God intended for me to have. I fight everyday to place my identity in him..and not in how much i can accomplish or how i look or how perfect i can make everything on my own terms. I find any time I get depressed or in a funk it is because i have been trying to do things my own way and on my own terms.

He loves me (and you) so much that He wants to be our everything which is why he left us His love letter. When He is our identity we can never fail because we have our hope in something that is eternal and everlasting.

Psalm 90:2
Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

No comments: